Interested in showing or participating in organized sporting events with your dog but not sure what, when, where, or how? Click here for some possible places to start.
There are a lot of American Kennel Club (AKC)-sanctioned sports and events in which your Spinone could participate provided they meet all other eligibility requirements:
- Conformation (Show) - conformation shows, matches, handler series, puppy of achievement, and beginner puppy.
- Companion Sports - agility, obedience, rally, and tracking.
- Performance Sports - pointing tests and trials, retrieving tests, and scent work trials.
- Sports for Juniors - pretty much: anything an adult human can do in AKC, juniors can do too.
- Family Dog Program - CGC, S.T.A.R. Puppy, Trick Dog, Therapy Dog, FIT Dog, and Temperament.
- Title Recognition Program - AKC recognizes some non-AKC titles, such as Disc Dog, Diving Dog, Flyball, SAR, and various titles earned through breed parent clubs.
The Spinone is also an eligible breed for participating in the North American Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) tests, once registered with that organization. Check out their websites for much more information!
Tests? Trials? What is the difference? Though it may vary -- so check the fine print of the rules and regs of the specific sport -- generally-speaking tests judge the entrant against a standard, not the other entrants, whereas in trials the entrants/results are additionally compared against one another with a winner chosen.